This bread makes a great breakfast or afternoon treat. It is great accompanied by a nice cup of hot tea and some fruit spreads. Try some apricot or peach spread for an extra delicious treat. Feel free to mix up the fruit and nuts with others of your choice.
2 cups brown rice flour
⅔ cup potato starch
⅓ cup tapioca flour
1 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp xanthan gum
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
¼ cup shortening
⅔ cup fresh orange (about medium 2 oranges)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 cups fresh cranberries, chopped
½ cup shelled walnuts, chopped
1 Tbs freshly grated orange zest
cane or coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Position rack in center of the oven. Grease 9x5in loaf pan.
- In a bowl combine brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour and mix until evenly combined. In a separate bowl mix 2 cups of the flour mixture (you can store remaining flour for later recipes), sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and baking soda.
- Mix in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal. Pour in orange juice and egg and mix until just moistened. Fold in cranberries, nuts, and zest.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, sprinkle with cane or coconut sugar. Bake for 1 hour until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. Cool completely before serving or wrapping for storage.
Nutritional Facts: per serving
155 cal; 5g total fat (1g sat fat); 26g carb; 178mg sod; 2g fiber; 2g protein; 13g sugars
*This recipe is based off of a recipe from Gluten Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts