The sweet plums combined with the hearty arepas and lentils give this dish a wonderful combination of flavors. This is a perfect dish for the whole family with no additional sides needed. Its relatively easy to make as well making it fun for kids to help out with. Feel free to add your own spin with your favorite ingredients.
4 plums, halved
1 Tbs melted butter
1 cup black lentils
2 cups arepa flour
2 tsp koser salt
2 Tbs coconut oil
1 small yellow onion
1 handful fresh cilantro
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper over a baking sheet. Brush melted butter over plum halves. Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Bring lentils and 2½ cups of water in a saucepan to a boil. Simmer lentils 15 to 20 minutes.
- While lentils and plums are cooking, combine arepa flour and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add 2½ cups warm water. Using a wooden spoon, incorporate dry ingredients, stirring until no dry lumps are left. Let rest for 6-8 minutes.
- Kneed dough a few times and divide into 8 pieces. Roll each piece on a floured surface into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Heat 1 Tbs of the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 4 arepas, cover, and cook 14-15 minutes, flipping half way through. Repeat with remaining oil and dough.
- While arepas cook and cool, blend together avocado, lime, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Cut arepas in half. Spread guacamole along each piece. Lay lentils and plums over arepas.
Nutritional Facts: per serving
515 cal; 15g total fat (7g sat fat); 83g carb; 1171mg sod; 19g fiber; 20g protein; 11g sugars