1 tbsp plus ¾ tsp dried rosemary, divided
½ tsp ground cumin, divided
8 tsp sliced almonds
7 Tbs nutritional yeast, divided
2 Tbs garlic powder
2 Tbs plus 1 tsp dried parsley, divided
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp plus ⅛ tsp ground cayenne pepper, divided
4 medium size zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut in half
1 14.5oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp coconut oil
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 package (4 rolls) Schar Ciabatta bread
- Arrange oven racks in top and middle position and preheat to 350F. In a small bowl combine ½ tsp rosemary and ¼ tsp cumin. Lightly wet almonds with about ¼ tsp water and toss with spic mixture. Spread out on a small baking sheet. Bake on top rack for 5 minutes, until golden. Set aside. Increase oven temperature to 400F.
- In a small flat baking dish, combine 5 Tbs yeast seasoning, garlic powder, 2 Tbs parsley, 1 Tbs rosemary, black pepper, and ½ tsp cayenne.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, beat eggs. Working 1 at a time, dip zucchini in egg, turning to coat both sides and letting excess to drip off. Press both sides of zucchini in mixture in baking dish. Place coated zucchini on sheet. Repeat with remaining zucchini. Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, prepare sauce: In a blender, combine tomatoes, basil and garlic until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan on medium. Stir in remaining ¼ tsp rosemary and cumin, 1 tsp parsley, ⅛ tsp cayenne and bay lead. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp yeast seasoning. Cover and keep warm on low heat.
- In a medium skillet on medium heat, sauté bell pepper for 3 minutes. Add onion and sauté 10 minutes more, or until onions and peppers are soft. Toast bread in toaster.
To assemble sandwiches:
- Spread 2 Tbs tomato sauce on bottom half of each roll. Layer 3-4 zucchini slices over sauce. Spoon some more tomato sauce over zucchini and top with peppers and onions. Sprinkle spiced almonds over each sandwich.
Nutritional Facts: per sandwich
282 cal; 9g protein; 6.75g total fat (3g sat fat); 41.5g carb; 0mg chol; 426.5mg sod; 8.5g fiber; 6g sugars
*This recipe is based off of a recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine